Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Step n Sync

It was during my college days. I was part of a gang which used to participate for all possible dance competitions. Apna kuch chaltha tha..:-) (alias a bit popular for our dances.) That’s when we decided to participate for this particular dance competition.

It was Ashik, one of our seniors who explained us the rules. He was the previous winner of the competition too. So we very carefully listened to him. Rules were pretty simple. Two people on stage with a curtain in between. The two dancers cannot see each other and have to do the sync. The audience can see both of them and see whether the coordination is right. The more the coordination more the chance of winning. Even he proudly displayed one of his snaps of the dance in which one was pointing his finger to the sky and the other pointing to the ground. We laughed at the picture as the snap was showing something just opposite to co-ordination and they were the winners.

From that day onwards we started practising. We selected a Hindi fast number by Subha Mudgal 'Dhol Baje'. After few weeks, we were in perfect sync and all set for the competition. We got ourselves a lime yellow 'chunkidi' dress to suit the song. Finally the day came and we were called on stage. We both stepped on to stage. We could hear lot of cheers from our class mates and felt confident. Then the music started.The entry was with a duppatta covering our face and slowly lifting it.I started with full energy.The moment i opened my dupatta and saw the audience, I saw a senior at very far distance.From the first day of my college, I was so scared of this particular super senior.as he ragged me and made me cry.I used to shiver whenever he passed me by. He might have forgotten about me after the first few weeks. But he was always a night mare to me. When i started dancing, I could see only him from the stage.I forgot all my steps.I almost stood still on the stage.I tried my maximum to remember the steps.But i was completely blank.Couldn't remember what was going on.I was also very sad that I disappointed my co-dancer.As soon as I got out of the stage all my friends came running. I started crying very loudly. Then my friends tried consoling me. Meanwhile my co-dancer also joined me from the other side of the stage. I told her that I am feeling bad that I disappointed her. With this all my friends started laughing. I was perplexed. Then it was Bonny who told me that my co-dancer did not even move in the stage and we were in very much sync because we both did not move.Water started rolling from my eyes, this time not because of the worry but because of the hearty laugh I had hearing that..After that though we participated for many dance competitions and have also won, we never tried for 'Step N Sync'.

No comments:

Post a Comment